Monday, March 25, 2013

Alexa- Blog three

I decided to take action, on the topic of drug testing for those that recieve food stamps, by signing a petition.
You can also do so by visiting http://www.petition2congress.com/3202/

This petition was started by a married mother of one who is on food stamps. She began the petition because of her concern of those that abuse the system. The petition has over 2,493 signatures. Yours can be one of those!!!!

The process is very simple. You enter your first and last name, your email, and your zip code. You can then have the option to leave a comment; they give you an example of a comment to look at as a model.
My comment was :

I am signing this petition in support of drug testing for those on welfare. I am currently a single student, working two jobs and paying my own rent and bills.
Many of us have taxes taken out of our checks. A part of this money goes to support those on welfare. I support the government helping those in need; there are many families out there that could not survive without this aid. However, I do not support those that abuse the system.



They use your zip code to find out where you live and give you a list of the appropriate elected officials. They then give you the option to send a private letter to these officials. Since I am from New York my letter was sent to President Obama, Sen. Charles E. Schumer, Sen. Kirten Gillibrand, and Rep. Timothy H. Bishop.

I liked that I was able to scroll through the comments and see how many people had similar concerns to me on this topic.

Alexa

No comments:

Post a Comment